Sunday, September 7, 2008

Leipzig and Chemnitz and Dresden, Oh My!

What a whirlwind of activity these last few days have been, as we prepare to start our new lives in Germany! First to Leipzig, where we did a bit of shopping and I picked up some ingredients for one of my world-famous meals; then to Chemnitz the next day to see old friends; finally to Dresden (after I made my mouth-watering Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken… recipe to come in a later post, undoubtedly) to see one of our apartment choices.


This was our first train ride so far, and it was short but sweet. The ride from Narsdorf to Leipzig is short, made all the more so by some super-fast trains. We didn't have very many people on the train with us, although just on the other side of the seat there was a large, angry-looking woman who seemed… peeved that we were taking pictures and not just quietly sitting still. She kept to herself though (fitting, I think), and the ride was uneventful. (Pictures can be found below... I forgot that Nadine included them in her P.S. a few days ago!)

Once we got into Leipzig, we met with our friend Katja, and had coffee while we caught up a bit.


The café was near the Thomaskirche, where a guy named Joe used to play the organ. The nice thing about Leipzig is that it's so welcoming that even some guy named Joe can get his own statue.



"Joe" Bach.


The Thomaskirche in Leipzig.

Okay, I'm not sure how long he was in Leipzig, and he probably wouldn't appreciate me calling him "Joe," but Bach and the cultural history of Leipzig really come through when you're wandering the streets there. The streets are clean, the people are generally friendly, and you've got this feeling of a past that you can't beat. Plus, when you're in Leipzig (and probably other places, I just haven't found them yet), you can pick up Spritzringe. We stopped at a little café for lunch with Nadine's mom (schnitzel baguette sandwich for me; fruit and yogurt for Nadine; and a salad and fruit and yogurt for Nadine's mom), and Nadine and I had Sprtizringe for dessert.


I know that I have previously discussed the merits of Kuchen. Indeed, I stand by Kuchen as one of the best desserts available to man. However, Spritzringe definitely deserve their space in the Pantheon of Sweets. These delectable, puffy pastry rings are covered with a sweet, creamy glaze; at the risk of becoming a blasphemous heretic, I would describe them as donuts' European kin. But, if you will, imagine the fluffiest, softest, moistest donut you've ever had, then top it with a simple glaze that melts when you look at it. Mmm. Yes, I'm drooling.

Mmmm... Spritzring...


After that, it was off to do a bit of shopping, and then home.

The next day, we went to Chemnitz. We did, however, have to ride bicycles up to the train station, since we were running late and it's a short piece from Nadine's parents' house. As you may notice, my memory of that morning is tinged with less-than-joyful thoughts, as I don't describe the short journey with enthusiasm. Apparently, my, ahem… purely coincidental riding of Nadine's mom's bike that coincided with the bike's unfortunate (though only temporary) self-destruction, has led to my being banned from that bike. That's right, I was stuck with her dad's bike.

My nemesis. The one with the seat that angles sharply upward.

After a soothing ride to Chemnitz Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station), we were picked up by our friends David and Susanne. David and Nadine have known each other since they were in elementary school and David is from the same town as Nadine. We spent a quiet afternoon looking at pictures, and Susanne made a baked noodle-ham-cheese dish, which, along with the best cucumber salad I've ever had kept us all full and happy.


David and Susanne.

Then, David and Susanne dropped us off at our other friends' house. Those of you who've known us for at least a year and a half may remember that we went to Germany last year to be at Susi and Marcel's wedding; they live in Chemnitz with their 3-year-old son Noah, and we spent a late afternoon with them before high-tailing it back to Narsdorf on the train.

Finally, the next day we had the delicious Fettuccine Alfredo for lunch, then skipped off to Dresden to see one of the possible apartments. There will be more on that to come in the next few days.

As for now, it's time for me to sign off, since we need to get up early tomorrow and head off to Dresden again… Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Abby said...

Hope all is well...waiting for a new update! :)